Translate

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Good Friends

In last October Conference Elder Richard G. Scott told us that "To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship." ("The Power of Scripture" October 2011 Conference). I've been thinking a lot about that phrase. What do good friends do? A good friend is there when you are frustrated, a good friend is there when you are discouraged, a good friend is there to make you smile, to encourage you, to stop you from doing something you'll regret... If we're blessed enough, we have a good friend somewhere for us in every single occasion in life. Good friends are there at the drop of a hat to help us. Good friends show up when we need them most; even if we didn't invite them to be there. Good friends help shape us, better us, and help us have joy in this life. With good friends around us, there isn't anything we cannot get through, accomplish, or become.
When I thought more about what a good friend does I realized that Elder Scott was right; scriptures are good friends. To become friends with someone you have got to take the time to get to know them. Only then can they be there when you need them. As we get acquinted with the scriptures then they will be avaliable to us at any time we need them; just like our good friends.

Below are people's experiences with their scripture "friends". If you would like to add your own experience please Facebook me and I'll post it. Thanks!

-Like good friends we often have one that is there for us the most or one that we go to when we need help the most. We usually have a scripture that is the same way. For me it is is Mosiah 27:16 "Remember the captivity of thy fathers". I love that phrase. No matter how bad I get myself in "captivity" I know that the power of the Lord is such that He can and will deliver me if I rely on Him and His grace.

-1 Nephi 20: 18: O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments—then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea.
I like to modify this in my mind to say: Because thou hadst harkened to my commandments, thy peace be as a river and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea.
I love the imagery of this scripture because I love to sit by rivers and the ocean and hear the water move. It is so calming-and beautiful to watch. I always feel close to the Lord and awed by the majesty of it all.

-Whenever I need a good laugh I look up John 2:9. It is when Christ turns the dirty water into wine for the wedding feast. The verse reads "When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;)" I just like that there is a winky face in it because the servants knew where the wine had really come from.
-D&C 112:10
-2 Nephi 1:15
-Jacob 3: 1-2
-Jacob 2:8
-Doctrine and Covenantas 121:7-9
-Isaiah 41:10
-Nehemiah 4:23
-Moroni 10:5
-Enos 1:8

No comments:

Post a Comment