Translate

Monday, December 31, 2012

It's Far Better to Sail than Row...


I don't know much about sailing, but I imagine it is a lot easier when the wind is blowing. Even if its a bit strong, it certainly means that if you know what you are doing, it will get you where you want to go faster. On the other hand, I don't imagine sailing in no wind is very fun. I personally have tried my hand at rowing once in a small lake in Jackson Hole, I ended up beached several times. We needed rescuing. Rowing just isn't very fun if you have to do it for a long time.


I was thinking about life in this way. When the wind blows, or when we have trials, if we adjust our sails (submit our will to God) than we can go very far in life. Adversely, when we have calm times in our lives, if we choose to progress, the oars must come out. It is much harder to progress in calm. It takes a lot more work, effort, and awareness. And so, God, in His mercy, usually blows us "toward the promised land" (Ether 6:8), for is always better to sail than to row.


God, before he sent each of his children to earth,
gave each of them a very carefully selected package of problems.
These, he promises smiling, are yours and yours alone.
No one else may have the blessings these problems bring you.
And only you have the special talents and abilities that will be needed to make these problems your servants.
Now you go down, to your birth and to your forgetfulness … know that I love you beyond measure.
These problems I give you are a symbol of my love.
The monument that you make of your life …
with the help of your problems …
will be a symbol of your love for me.
Your Father

No comments:

Post a Comment