Translate

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cinderella Man: When I am Weak I am Strong

When we are weak we are strong,
and therein lies true happiness
Cinderella Man is a movie about a boxer during the Great Depression. In the movie he is a good boxer but favors his right hand, never really using his weaker left. During a fight he breaks his right hand, forcing him to find other work. Without steady work their lives begin to become more and more desperate and destitute. Finally, when his hand heals he returns to boxing. Even though it has been a long time since he has trained or boxed at all he has a miraculous winning streak, brining his family and friends out of financial turmoil, giving back to all that helped him. What was the secret to his success? Well you'd have to ask him, but one thing that is mentioned by his coach/trainer is that his boxing has improved because he uses his left hand now. Because for so long he had to rely on his left hand only it got stronger and stronger until he could use it to box as well as his right hand.
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" Ether 12:27
I've learned that we are strongest when we are weak. Indeed it is a blessing. It is when God takes our strengths away or puts us in difficult situations that we are forced to make our weakness strong. Even though it is hard and frustrating and disappointing road, it ends in a "happily ever after", just as it did for the Cinderella Man. He never would have reached his potential as a boxer nor have been able to get the same amount of money for his family had he not first broke his right hand. I testify that there is nothing stronger in us than our very weaknesses, because when we give them to God, we will one day have none left to give Him. What a beautiful day that will be, but for now, I am grateful that I am weak, for it is then that I am strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment